The Adolescent Pregnancy & Parenting Program is a parenting program for pregnant and/or parenting adolescents 19 years of age or younger. In an effort to provide support and guidance to adolescent parents during a transitional period of their lives, the Adolescent Pregnancy & Parenting Program offers site and home-based parenting sessions.
How We Help
For many teens, high school graduation does not appear to be an option as they become parents earlier than they had planned and are overwhelmed with adult responsibilities at a very early age. However, when teen parents receive pre-natal and parenting information while still in school, they are empowered and encouraged to complete their education.
Through the Adolescent Pregnancy & Parenting Program, comprehensive supportive services are provided so that pregnant and/or parenting adolescents:
- Become healthy, nurturing parents who know how to provide appropriate brain stimulation for their children;
- Learn the fundamentals of child development, proper care of infants/young children and healthy parenting techniques;
- Gain an understanding of healthy brain development and the importance of brain stimulation for young children;
- Demonstrate an ability to provide appropriate brain stimulation and will integrate the program into their daily lives; and
- Demonstrate a sense of hopefulness for their future.
The Adolescent Pregnancy & Parenting Program offers free group sessions hosted in schools and community centers throughout Bexar County for adolescents 19 years or younger. Led by trained childbirth and/or parent educators, our program offers sessions covering some of the following topics:
|Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Nutrition & Fetal Development;
- My Pregnant Body;
- How Will I Know I’m in Labor?;
- Stages of Labor;
- Relaxation & Stress;
- Breastfeeding – Starting Out Right;
- What to Expect After Delivery;
- Soothing My Crying Baby; and
- Newborn Care
- Ages & Stages of Development;
- Baby Sign Language;
- All About the Brain;
- Dealing with Challenging Behaviors;
- Childhood Illness/First Aid;
- Dealing with Stress;
- Helping My Child Talk;
- Positive Discipline; and
- Realities of Parenthood
Home-based parenting visitations are also provided to adolescents who are pregnant or have a child 2 years old or younger. Home visits take place weekly for 12 weeks and then transition to once a month until the client’s child is 3 years of age.
Who qualifies for our program?
Pregnant and/or parenting adolescents 19 years or younger living in Bexar County